We humans cannot live long, happy, healthy and prosperous lives without the help and support of thousands of other people whom we have never met. And they, in their turn, require that we help and support them in some small way as they live their lives. This is the incredible network we call civilization, the most amazing achievement which mankind has developed over the past few thousand years.
Being a citizen involves both rights and responsibilities. In order fully to take part in and benefit from civilization, we need to understand these rights and responsibilities. This is the subject of the domain known as “citizenship”.
We are each citizens of many different domains:
- we are citizens of our village, town or city
- we are citizens of our country
- we are citizens of the world
United Nations Association Projects
Many of the projects being organised by the United Nations Association Coventry Branch relate to citizenship.
- 10 Easy Ways
- Citizenship and the UK National Curriculum
- Coventry Schools Peace & Justice Forum
- ECOSOC Youth Forum 2017
- Global citizens for global solutions
- Global Citizenship
- Green Electricity
- Human Rights Day Campaign
- Kenilworth Climate Action Network
- LED Bulbs
- Recycle, Reuse, Repair
- Security Council Urges States to Engage Youth in Decision Making
- Student Essay Contest and Global Youth Forum 2017
- Sustainable Development Goals
- UNA-UK to host unprecedented public debates with UN Secretary-General candidates
- Walk or Bicycle
- What is Citizenship?
- Young Democracy Project