There are 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that were unanimously adopted by the 193 Member States of the United Nations at a historic summit in September 2015.
The following is a summary of these goals.
The full text of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development can be found here.
- Poverty – End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
- Hunger and Food Security – End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
- Good Health and Well-Being – Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- Education – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment – Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- Water and Sanitation – Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Energy – Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and clean energy for all.
- Economic Growth – Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- Infrastructure, Industrialization – Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
- Inequality – Reduce inequality within and among countries.
- Cities – Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- Sustainable Consumption and Production – Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Climate Change – Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- Oceans – Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
- Life on Land – Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- Peace and Justice – Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- Partnerships – Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.