Mental Health is included in Sustainable Development Goal 3 which focuses on ensuring healthy lives and promoting well-being for all at all ages. See this report from the World Health Organisation for more.
Shagufta Hamid-Khan is the lead and chair of the Coventry Mental Health project within Muslim Communities which fits very well into both her role as the Chair of UNA Coventry and her membership of the Muslim Forum Management Committee as well as her long experience as a health professional.
A project team of 10 people has been created which have the following aims:
- Raising Mental Health Awareness
- Talking, Listening and Engaging with all
- Supporting, Educating, Providing Expert Advice and Information on Services available
- Delivering the Right Message to Change Public Attitudes and Remove Stigmas around Mental Health
- Helping people seek help early enough before it progresses further
To achieve this she plans to:
- Set up Training for Project Members & First Aiders to recognise MH signs / symptoms
- Help Faith & Community Leaders to better understand the terms Mental Health, Mental illness & Mental Well Being
- Reach out and Engage with Muslim Communities & Employers by creating a Dialogue & Openness about Mental Health
- Explore faith-based solutions working in partnership with Mosques (Masjids) and Day centres.
- Work in partnership with Muslim Faith affiliates, StakeHolders, Schools,
- Engage Medical experts, GP’s, Hospitals
- Work with Mental Health Charities such as Mind, HeadsTogether, Calm, Connect, Maslaha etc.
- Deliver Seminars & Conferences with key speakers .
- Hold Discussions / Debates
- Give Youth a Platform
- Build relationships with Homeless, Lonely, Socially Isolated, Elderly
- Enable all to Work Together to Achieve our Targets.
- Find solutions to treat the issues.
- Raise funds & resources.
In short she says “Our vision is wellbeing and to make communities safer & healthier, trusting each other, talking together and supporting each other.”
If you would like to help Shagufta and get involved in this project please write to email@example.com