Founded in 1945, the United Nations Association – UK (UNA-UK) is the country’s foremost advocate for UK action at the UN; the UK’s leading source of analysis on the UN; and a vibrant grassroots movement of 20,000 people from all walks of life.
We are the only charity in the UK devoted to building support for the UN amongst policymakers, opinion-formers and the public. We believe that a strong, credible and effective UN is essential if we are to build a safer, fairer and more sustainable world. We advocate strong government support for the UN – political and financial – and seek to demonstrate why the UN matters to people everywhere.
We pursue this mission by:
- Explaining how the UN works and what it can realistically achieve
- Connecting people and organisations to the UN’s work and values
- Providing an interface between the UN and the UK
- Calling for active and progressive UK leadership at the UN
- Stimulating debate and action on how to make the UN more effective, transparent, inclusive and accountable
- Convening key players from all sectors, in the UK and internationally, to promote multilateral solutions to global problems
- Equipping our members and supporters to further all of these aims
UNA-UK derives great strength from its members and supporters, and UK-wide network of community and university branches. Together, they form a critical mass of support for the UN in the UK and beyond.
Our recent successes include: the 1 for 7 Billion campaign to change how the UN selects its Secretary-General, our call for more UK peacekeeping troops, and our push to keep the UN on the national curriculum in England.
UNA-UK is a charitable company limited by guarantee (no.1146016). We are completely independent of the UN and receive no funding from it.