This is United Nations Association – UK (UNA-UK) 2022 statement of its mission and values taken from their website.
Founded in 1945, the United Nations Association – UK (UNA-UK) is the country’s foremost advocate for UK action at the UN; the UK’s leading source of analysis on the UN; and a vibrant grassroots movement of 20,000 people from all walks of life. We are the only charity in the UK devoted to building support for the UN amongst policymakers, opinion-formers and the public.
To build movements for systemic transformation at the UN;
To advocate for UK action for global cooperation.
Boldness. Disruptive, constructive, creative. We do what it takes to speak truth to power.
Accountability. Decisions that affect us all should not be taken behind closed doors. We practice self-reflection, expect transparency, and challenge inequality.
Intersectionality. We recognise the interconnected nature of oppression and challenge the structures that drive injustice.
Solidarity. We find power in community around the world and amplify the work of grassroots changemakers.
UNA-UK pursue this mission by:
- Explaining how the UN works and what it can realistically achieve.
- Connecting people and organisations to the UN’s work and values.
- Providing an interface between the UN and the UK.
- Calling for active and progressive UK leadership at the UN.
- Stimulating debate and action on how to make the UN more effective, transparent, inclusive and accountable.
- Convening key players from all sectors, in the UK and internationally, to promote multilateral solutions to global problems.
- Equipping our members and supporters to further all of these aims.
UNA-UK derives great strength from its members and supporters, and UK-wide network of community, student and issues-based UNA Groups. Together, they form a critical mass of support for the UN in the UK both nationally and globally.
UNA-UK’s recent successes include: the 1 for 7 Billion campaign to change how the UN selects its Secretary-General, its call for more UK peacekeeping troops, and push to keep the UN on the national curriculum in England.
The United Nations Association – UK (UNA-UK) is a registered charity (No. 1146016) and a company limited by guarantee (No. 07824306).
We are completely independent of the UN and receive no funding from it.